Hiking in Rhodes - fantastic route from Salakos to Fountoukli
During the guided hike in Rhodes you will explore Mount Profitis Ilias in the west and immerse yourself in the Mediterranean mountain scenery of the Greek island.
- Rhodes hike "Salakos-Fountoukli" - per adult (from 10 years)95.-€
Booking option: Exclusive Rhodes hike on Mount Profitis Ilias
While hiking in western Rhodes this lovely exploration tour takes you into the mountainous landscape of Profitis Ilias with its Mediterranean beauty. You start in Salakos with the ascent and after about 2 hours you reach the old chapel Agios Nikolaos Foundoukli, where you can refresh yourself at the spring and enjoy a picnic. On the way back you will stop at the historic Hotel Elafos.
Itinerary of the hiking tour
- approx. 08:00 AM - start at the meeting point or hotel pick up with an air-conditioned vehicle
- approx. 09:00 AM - hike for approx. 2.5 hours
- approx. 12:00 PM - arrival at St. Nikolaos chapel (Monastery of Fountouki)
- approx. 12:30 PM - tradional picnic
- approx. 02:00 PM - visit to the historical Hotel Elafos
- approx. 04:00 PM - arrival at your hotel
- Difficulty: moderate
- Duration: ~ 8 hours
- Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Days: daily
- Months: April - November
- Details: Length of the hiking trail approx. 7 km / duration of the hike approx. 2.5 hours
- Languages: English, French
- Pick-up included in the price from: Rhodes City
- Starting points: Rhodes City
- Transfers from other regions: on request and for an extra charge
- Private / exclusive hike for 2 to 7 persons
- Professional guide, accident insurance, picnic
- Snack, water and refreshments (1 soda, coke, beer or wine)
- It is a private / exclusive tour with min. 2 and max. 7 persons.
- In July and August it is very hot and it is therefore advisable to start earlier in the morning or in the afternoon and adapt the route to the weather.
- The tour is in English and French, other languages are available on request.
- Catering details: lunch with local dishes (e.g. Greek salad, feta cheese, eggplant salad, meatballs, stuffed vine leaves ("Dolmadakia"), chickpea cake ("Pittaroudia"), tzatziki, fresh fried potatoes, pumpkin balls - all prepared with Greek olive oil, handmade Rhodian snack "Melekouni" (honey-sesame bar)
- The organiser reserves the right to make minor changes to the programme in case of unfavourable conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Minimum age 10 years
- Before the tour you will receive a consent form, which must be signed.
Please bring along:
Passport, towel, sunglasses, sun blocker, sports- / hiking shoes, suitable clothing, hat, backpack, camera
Hiking in Rhodes West - on Mt. Profitis Ilias from Salakos to Fountoukli with wonderful views
What many don't know, Rhodes is a true hiking paradise. If you like to be active during your holiday, you should not miss to explore the island on foot. And while hiking in Rhodes you can also get away from the stressful everyday life in the Mediterranean scenery of Greece. After the pick-up in the north you will be taken to the idyllically situated small mountain village of Salakos to start the tour. The exclusive hike takes you to Mount Profitis Ilias.
On the route you will dive into Rhodes flora and fauna, pass olive groves, cypresses, pines and wild herbs such as thyme, rosemary, sage and oregano, so that you will always be accompanied by a wonderful scent. During the hike you may also see a few flowering orchids native to Rhodes. You will surely also see the mountain goats living in the mountains. In this dreamlike scenery you can let your soul dangle. The slight rustle of the wind in the trees and bushes, the singing of the birds and the chirping of the crickets all contribute to this. A professional guide will accompany you while hiking in Rhodes and you will learn many interesting details about the island of the sun god Helios. From Mount Profitis Ilias you can partially see the neighbouring Dodecanese Islands and the southwest coast of Turkey. Impressive views await you, so have your camera ready!
After about 2 hours in a dreamlike idyll you reach the Byzantine chapel Agios Nikolaos Fountoukli with very old murals art inside. Here you will also find the famous Koskinsiti spring, from which you can drink to refresh yourself. A delicious picnic with traditional dishes awaits you at a beautifully situated spot, because of course you also have to strengthen yourself in Rhodes while hiking! Sit together, feast and review what you have experienced. After dinner you will be picked up and drive to the historic Elafos Hotel. Built in 1929 by Italians, the property captivates with its alpine style, which is unusual for Rhodes and more reminiscent of a building in South Tyrol. In the beginning it was used to accommodate Italian officers and in World War II as a military hospital during the German occupation. It was not until 2006 that it was lovingly restored and put back into operation. Afterwards you will head back to your starting point tomorrow.
Hiking in the mountains of Rhodes is pure pleasure. Take your backpack and spend a wonderful day in nature. There are many hiking trails in Rhodes, but hiking on Profitis Ilias is a very special experience that you should not miss!
Valid on the reserved day or for 12 months after date of purchase if no date has been selected. You will receive the tour operator's details with the purchased ticket. Attention: reservation is required! The reservation can be made through sunbonoo as part of the booking process or later by contacting the tour operator directly via phone or email.
Our customers' questions
How do I receive my tickets?
Where is the meeting point / will I be picked up directly at my hotel when a transfer is possible?
Can I pay in cash directly when the tour / activity starts?
Can I book on short notice?
What happens if the weather is too bad to do the tour / activity?
How does a gift voucher work?
Are discounts possible?